I've always thought FLEXIBILITY was one of the necessary qualities of being a full- fledged mother (and now a grandmother).
Mother's Day 2017 was a study in "flexibility", and it was a wonderful day!
The saga all began with Cinco de Mayo. On that day, I got in the mood for Mexican food and decided to center my plan for a Mother's Day lunch at my home with my two daughters, Anne Marie and Elizabeth, and two grandchildren, Jay and Alice around that fare. I should explain golf pro Jack was working and Steve was in a wedding out of town (both good "reasons").
I'm going to try to make a looooonng story short.
- I planned the menu... chicken enchiladas, the girls' favorite guacamole, salad with fresh oranges and ice cream with hot fudge and Mexican tea cakes.
- I made the grocery list
- I shopped
- I ordered two rotisserie chickens from Kowalski's to be picked up on Sunday a.m. because they truly are the best I've ever had. A good short cut!
- I picked up the chickens early Sunday morning... ready to create my fiesta when...
- I received a text from Elizabeth saying she had been sick all night long.
- I realized the menu didn't really "speak" to a lunch with one other "grown-up" and two small grandchildren.
- I revised (see ingredients) from my pantry cupboard and ended up make the best chicken soup I have ever made. Yes, lemon is the SECRET ingredient.
- Set a simple table for four and thoroughly enjoyed a special afternoon of a "yummy" lunch (at least that's what Alice said!), played games, colored and looked at long ago photos of my grandchildren's mother and grandmother when we were their age.
- Sent a "care" package of soup and cookies home with Anne Marie to drop off at Elizabeth's
True bliss... based on " flexibility" and seizing the moment!
Hmm... chicken enchiladas anyone? I can be at your home by 6pm. Ha!